UK Solicitor John
UK Solicitor John, Solicitor
Experience:  8 years legal experience
106125879

If I have seen my father in law drinking alcohol at a bar

If I have seen my father in law drinking alcohol at a bar then with in 20 mins picked up my son and drove what can I do. I have pics of him drinking and then driving the car all time stamped on my phone

Hello, I’m a solicitor and I’m happy to help with your question today. There may be delays in responding as I am away helping other customers but I will get back to you as soon as I can. Please bear with me if I need to ask you some clarifying questions. Thank you.

How do you have pics , were you present at the time, if so, why did you not stop him driving and/ or picking your son up?
Ideally, what advice are you seeking here, whether you can have him prosecuted?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I was picking up my step son, I don’t go anywhere near him. I presumed that his mother or mother in law was there but I saw him drive of with my son in the car
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
What I don’t want is him drinking and picking up my son

Ok. Well you can report him to the police, and provide his full name and address, date and time of the offence, make/model of the car and information on what he has been drinking. You can do this anonymously by calling 101, or online by completing a drink drivers form with crimestoppers which you can locate here https://crimestoppers-uk.org/give-information/forms/pre-form

I trust this helps? Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also provide a rating. You can do this by clicking the stars at the top of the page. Thank you. John.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
What i really want to do Is ensure he not drinking when he is collecting my son. Is it best to report it so it’s on record?

Well you cannot really guarantee that but you could take steps to try. You could try speaking with him directly or other family members to speak with him, and lastly your son so he doesn’t get into a vehicle with him when he’s had a drink.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Okay great thanks for the advise but I can report this to police, what will they do?

Hello, the police will look into the matter and investigate further and if they have enough evidence will prosecute.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.