ReadyLaw
ReadyLaw, Advocate
Experience:  Adjunct Lecturer at University of Technology
104128041

After 18 months of sustained undermining, isolation and

HI After 18 months of sustained undermining, isolation and bullying I raised a grievance against him now he has raised one against but he won’t tell me what it is about. Is this legal?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Uk Englad
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: In the first instance I raised it to a director a year ago but by the time HR approached me we had already had the first of many arguments. He has displayed all the signs of a bully from undermining my work/ideas to limiting my exposure to stakeholders. To giving me projects that set me up to fail a different job title to others at same despite my record of delivery. I was signed of for 3 weeks by the doctors with high blood pressure after a prolonged period of negativity from him. Stakeholders are positive about me yet he nit picks and only gives negative feedback based on his opinion. We have had mediation but he went against what was agreed - I went to he on several occasions. But it ended with us having a public disagreement in the communal kitchen. After which I felt I had no choice but to raise a grievance.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The investigation did not cover areas of my grievance while people have closed ranks on me - he is still their manager and he is a vindictive man hence the grievance reprisal.
Good day your question has been forwarded to me to see if I may be able to assist.
By he are you referring to your manager? What was the outcome of your
Disciplinary hearing?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I am the one raising the grievance against him however the investigation missed out key areas of my statement. The culture in my office is toxic - attitudes and behaviours are allowed people are recruited and promoted without any visible process. All men, women given the more menial tasks with not even cost of living pay increases. My manager started off in the same job and was suddenly promoted, I reported into him. I was told to do a different job to the one I was recruited for and I’m still doing work not in my job description. In the restructure I was given a difficult secondment of someone they told me had no potential to do the job. It was supposed to be 5 days but it went to 2 days and he disappeared without telling me to go back to his old team. My manager openly undermined my knowledge and alternative solutions to his - it is only his way or I’m wrong. No account is taken of factors outside my control. After 1 incident I was signed off for 3 weeks by the doctors with high blood pressure. Previously I had no absence but I could take no more.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I have not had the 1st meeting with the “independent” adjudicator. I have no faith in this process due to the glaring gaps and absence of his manager in the statements.
Kindly give me a minute to review what you have said
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Yes, of course. Thank-you for responding. Jenny
Somyou have not had a disciplinary hearing as yet?
So, you have not had your disciplinary hearing as yet?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I have not been told I am being disciplined however when I have raised a bullying grievance after several informal mediation discussions why is my behaviour being focused on? At no point have I been told about my performance based on written facts. Just verbal dressing downs with him telling me that the Finance Director thought I was overly assertive in a meeting where men had been talking over me in my presentation and he told me to “Shut up”. When I challenged him on as to why they were not singled out I was told it was just discussion. So I said so when I talk ai’m being overly assertive and when men talk over me it’s discussion. In the statement the Finance Director said I had done a good piece of work and that he did not say that. My boss did not tell me that positive feedback.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I asked outright if there was a grievance against me and if so when it was lodged? Surely I have a right to know and there being explicit discussion about my performance before this. My grievance is the result of him using his position to undermine me forcwhich I have cited several examples - recent and older ones he keeps bringing up. He makes out that they didn’t land yet there were good reviews fro my stakeholders but he deprioritised my work preventing me from developing further. But he just says it is because it is overly complex.
Thanks for the additional information.
Firstly I am sorry to hear of the situation at work, it does sound toxic and as though your immediate manager may be bullying or harassing you. Examples of bullying or harassing behaviour include:

spreading malicious rumours
unfair treatment
picking on or regularly undermining someone
denying someone’s training or promotion opportunities

What you have described does sound like unfair treatment. I must warn you though that bullying itself is not against the law, but harassment is. Hareassment involves a situation where unwanted behaviour is related to one of the following:

age
sex
disability
gender reassignment
marriage and civil partnership
pregnancy and maternity
race
religion or belief
sexual orientation

To be successful in being an action therefore, you would have to demonstrate that your employers behavior fits into one of the categories above.

Now, it seems that you have already made internal complaints. I would therefore recommend that you escalate your complaint to Acas (Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service). They are a free government run body that is mandated to see whether they can offer free impartial help in relation to employment issues.
Please see there details below.
https://www.acas.org.uk/

Please note that employment claims do have a time restriction of three months somif you do intend to bring an action against your employers you must act quickly.

I hope I have answered your question. Kindly let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Kindly also indicate whether you have accepted the answer given by clicking on the stars at the top of the page.

All the best

RL
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I think that the our department shows discrimination which is why it was omitted, so too my reference to a restructure. While he may seem pleasant it is true that only men are given promotions- women are there todo the work no one else wants to do. I demonstrated I could manage given the right support and a level playing field. I am just treated differently and I am accused of being defensive when I am asking them to back up their opinion with recent facts. Thank-you