How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 17702
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I made an error whilst transferring money to a remittance

This answer was rated:

i made an error whilst transferring money to a remittance company. The money was taken out from my bank account but the remittance company stated they did not receive it and my bank did an investigation for about 6 weeks without asking me for any evidence and has concluded that there was an error in payment and they cannot do anything to return my money.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Oxfordshire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None yet because I waited until the bank has finished their investigation. This is the first time I am contacting you.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That is all. I have printed out the email responses from the remittance company, my bank statement and kept the mails from the bank about the investigation. This is money that I have worked hard for. Not much but it felt so unfair that the bank did not consider my side at all.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

Is your bank at fault ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Is your bank at fault ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I think my bank is at fault

You need to write a letter, set out your losses and request a refund within 30 days or say you will go to Court. This is called a pre-action protocol letter of claim. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy. You must give 30 days warning before going to Court.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Jamie-Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
You were a big help, thank you very much.