Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

I have a dispute with Volkswagen regarding damage to my VW

I have a dispute with Volkswagen regarding damage to my VW California campervan which was damaged during a warranty recall by their authorised repairer. The warranty repair was carried out at a time and with a repairer organised by VW under the warranty.
JA: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: In England
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: The sleeping compartment tent had oil damage inside and outside and the lower passenger area had oil damage as well. I have complained to VW customer services asking them to take responsibility to give me my vehicle back in the same condition it was before the repair.. They said that it had to go back to the repairer to give them a chance to make good the damage. This I reluctantly did. The repairer had the vehicle for 6 weeks and returned it me with old oil stains not cleaned, with new oil stains and with a leaking tent in areas which they had tried to clean,. I have again asked them to take responsibility and they have said that the only way that that my complaint can be moved forward is if I take the vehicle back to the repairer for a third time which I have refused to do.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

This kind of problem (not particularly related to campers) is not at all uncommon.

They are only in title to have one go fixing it which they haven’t done.

The remedy is quite simple.

Go to someone now who is competent, get it fixed, and then take the incompetents to court for that cost.

www.moneyclaim.gov.uk is quick and easy.

I would suggest that you tell them that’s what you are going to do.

Because you don’t want to go back to the original repairer, that really is your only option.

Your claim is against the retailer and it’s their fault if they used an incompetent repairer.

If I have answered your question for you, at the top of the page, you should see a rating facility. Can you please rate my reply 3 stars or more because that really helps me? Please note you are not rating whether it’s favourable, because sometimes you may not get the answer you want, but basically my knowledge and way of dealing.

The thread does not close and I am happy to answer any questions you may have arising from this.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
By the incompetants I take it you mean VW? Also VW are insisting that I take it back to the repairer because "they, the repairer, have given me a 12 month warranty", surely it is VW who has the warranty?

You have no contract with the repairers. The repairers of the agents of VW.

Therefore it is VW whose net is on the block.

The 12 month warranty is indeed between the repairer and VW.

You have a separate warranty yourself with VW.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
VW actually use the words 'workmanship guarantee'

Semantics.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you, ***** *****'t close this down just yet, in case I think of any further questions over the week end.

No problem. It doesn’t close after you have rated anyway. It stays open indefinitely and we can still exchange, it’s just that rating gets me paid :-)