How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 75740
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My son threatened me with a knife. He is 12. I don't know

This answer was rated:

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: My son threatened me with a knife. He is 12. I don't know what can be out of it.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: England
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Reported to the police, children services, going to go to get camhs referral
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just need adv8ce how to proceed with police

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is Jo C, I’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Are you trying to retract?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.

Your statement against your 12 year old son? I presume that is what you are trying to do?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I don't know

Well, what would you like to know?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I don't think he should get away with without anything. But I don't know what they can actually do to him
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
In case they would give him a caution how long it will stay in his records ?

Thank you.


It is quite unlikely that they would want to prosecute a 12-year-old for public interest reasons.


This is a matter for parental discipline and at the highest points social services. Clearly he should not escape punishment. That is what parents do.


In any event, this is not possession of a knife in a public place and so knife crime does not apply.

At the very highest point, they could maybe caution him for common assaults.

A caution would last for life.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Aahh so it's not knife crime. Great!
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Yes social services are on board.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
So how to proceed with the police? I reported it as social services said so. But I didn't give statement yet as they are busy.

Well, they might be looking at knife crime. But if this is not a public place then it can't be.

You don't have to do what social services say. Or tell them about private business. You are are an independent parent. You don't have to tell social services about every family argument whatever they say.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Jo it's quite scary when 12 yo threaten you with a knife.
I need help from social services. I know they will be around - not the best - but we need help.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
So what to tell the police? To withdraw it all?

Well, either you make a statement or you don't. You don't have to do anything you don't want to. Nobody can force you whatever social services say.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
So if I call them and tell I don't want to make a statement? Can they do anything with it?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Well - with him?

If you don't want to make a statement then just tell you them you don't want to help when they call you.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
And will it end of it?
Customer: replied 6 days ago. ..

They will put you under pressure but without your evidence they have no case

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Ok. I don't want he has records for life. He needs psychiatrist and a therapy. So something what wouldn't go away won't help.
Thank you very much Jo. 5* from me. Have a nice weekend.

No problem and all the best.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Will do Jo. I am very happy and greatful for ypur help.


Jo C. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you