31090051

Together with others, I am a beneficiary of an intestate

Together with others, I am a beneficiary of an intestate estate. The solicitor handling the case has been searching for other potential beneficiaries for over three years. Is there a statutory period for such a search and if not who and when can the search be
JA: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?
Customer: I am located in Germany but the deceased was located in Kent, England and the solicitor is located in Dover.
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: I have documents confirming that I am a legal beneficiary. I have sent my birth certificate and death certificate of my mother.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have tried to get updated information on the progress for the search but can get no satisfactory answer.

Thanks for your question. There is no statutory time limit in the short term. However if reasonable efforts have been made to trace beneficiaries, an insurance can be purchased (called a missing beneficiaries policy). That enable the estate to be settled and if the beneficiaries appear in the future the insurance company will pay out. It is for the executor to determine if that type of policy is appropriate or achievable. The insurer would have to examine the whole case and consider the risk involved in terms of risk and value. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating on the star rating system on your screen. That will allow JustAnswer to credit me for helping you today.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thank you that is indeed a help. I will consider the matter and if necessary contact you again. DWH

You’re welcome. Please leave a positive rating on the star rating system on your screen. That will allow JustAnswer to credit me for helping you today.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I have spoken to the bank. Two payments will be made. DWH