Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

I have a butchers shop and have had to take s customer to

Hi. I have a butchers shop and have had to take s customer to the small claims court for a outstanding debt. He had since reluctantly paid the bill but now wants to take action against us for slander and defamation of character, as I spoke to his manager about the issue and told him he was a wanker.( Please excuse the language. As you can imagine I was cross) He claims to have a police investigation in process. Plus he said he will be taking us to court as an ex employee of his asked if he had paid his bill and I told the them I was still chasing payment. I feel slot of this is sour grapes but l would like to know where I stand with this and I it was to go further could I get help.
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Leicestershire, United Kingdom
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: No as far as I am aware. Just what he has told the small claims court.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks
The truth is a defence to any defamation action which means provided you said was true namely that he had not paid his bill and you took him to court then he will lose any such action if he brings it. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Is it fair to say that calling him a wanker would carry no crime?
Yes that is correct. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
That's fine thanks. I seem have requested a call. Is it possible to cancel that?