Lawyer21
Lawyer21, CILEx Lawyer
Experience:  CILEx Lawyer
31642296

My ex girlfriend has a lot of my items and she is refusing

Hi, my ex girlfriend has a lot of my items and she is refusing to return them,
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: United Kingdom
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Tried to contact them about getting my items back but have been ignored.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hi How can I help?

Is the property in joint names?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
It isn't a property, its mainly a laptop and a couple other items. I have proof of payment, invoicing and billing all in my name and to my accounts.

Were theses given as gifts?

If you have proof of purchase you can legally and can identify them - then you can get them back

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
They were given as gifts, however the laptop was for joint use for when we had originally planned to move in together.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I have proof of purchase for the laptop, I can guarantee that and I can find proof for all the other items.

If the items legally belong to you and you have proof of purchases then you can ask her to return them back or inform the police of possible theft.

I hope this information has been helpful

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
What do you think the best cause of action would be without having to involve the police?

You need to ask her to return them back or inform her that you have proof of purchase or write a letter to her - send by recorded delivery so she has knowledge of its return.

Thank you - I would be grateful if you give me a positive rating by clicking on the above and press submit - I would appreciate it many thanks

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I have informed her that I have proof pf purchase and she refused to return any of it and proceeded to cut all communication. Therefor I should inform the police at this point?

Send her the letter with evidence that the items belong to you and of your proposed intention to inform the police or make a claim for possession in the County Court.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Okay, thanks for your help.