Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

I currently live in student accommodation. I ordered clear

Hi, I currently live in student accommodation. I ordered clear casting resin to repair my suitcase and encase some crystals that I own in them. I opened this package in the evening and noticed that it had a strong chemical smell. I wanted to ask the reception if they had some sort of storage cupboard that I could store this in however it was out of hours and they weren't in. In order to mitigate the smell I wrapped the resin in as much cling film as I can and stored it in the kitchen supplies cupboard. It did work initially. The next day I had to attend to some work at university and didn't get a chance to ask for alternative storage arrangements but intended to at the earliest possible opportunity. While there I got an email from the accommodation team stating that the item had been removed from the kitchen cupboard and that thy wanted to talk to whoever own it. I immediately sent an email back stating that it was mine and that it was clear casting resin. The next day the reception team had called the police a chemical disposal company and the fire service. I was questioned about it and told the police that it was clear casting resin and they took no further action. I could have been asked to send the resin back however the reception team paid a chemical removal company to remove the item. They are trying to pass the cost on to me. I've looked into the recent tenant act of 2019 and this seems to be a prohibited charge. Can I get you to confirm this and provide advice for how to claim compensation for the items lost.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Cornwall Penryn, Cornwall
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None I just got an email stating that I have been charged for the removal of this item.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: When the resin was initially removed it was stored in a flame protected area on site. Then removed by a chemical waste company the next day.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
My question seems to have been cut off I'll send it again
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I currently live in student accommodation. I ordered clear casting resin a while ago and it arrived a few days ago. When the resin sets it forms a hard clear layer. I wanted to use it to coat and reinforce the wheels of my suitcase and encase some crystals I own in them. I opened the package on the 29th and noticed that the resin did have a strong chemical smell. I wanted to ask the staff if they had some sort of supplies cupboard that I could use because of this, however it was out of hours and they were not in. In order to mitigate the smell I wrapped the resin in cling film and put it in the cupboard in the kitchen. The next day I was at the university and received an email stating that the resin had been removed from the kitchen and stored in a flame protected area on site. It also asking for the owner to see the Sidings (accommodation name) team the next day. I responded immediately stating that I ordered it and it was clear casting resin. I saw the site manager the next day and she asked me to come back in an hour's time. I noticed that the fire service had been called. When I came back the police had arrived. I told them that the item was clear casting resin. I informed them that it is a common D.I.Y material and it is used to make several other items such as jewellery etc and that I intended to use it to repair my suitcase wheels and encase some crystals that I own in it. They asked me if I had anything that they should be concerned about. I told them that the only other thing that I had that was relevant to the resin was the hardener/the catalyst for it. They asked me if I could show this to them so I went to my room with them and showed them the catalyst. It was sealed in the same manner as the resin and I handed it to the police officer and he opened it. I also had acetone to clean any leftover resin from the moulds and jug that I use when use when using this and isopropyl alcohol for general cleaning. They acknowledged this and left all of this in my room. They took no further action.

The Sidings team then talked to me about this. I apologised that I didn't ask them if they had some sort of supplies cupboard that I could keep this in earlier and that I was in the library doing some work. I explained that the resin is a common D.I.Y. ingredient used to coat surfaces and make jewellery etc, the acetone is a common ingredient in nail polish remover, I intended to clean with it and that vodka that most people have is more flammable than the clear casting resin and that it is completely safe when stored in a cool dry well ventilated area. It was stated that the hardener and acetone would have to be removed. A member of staff from the university came to my room and I handed over the resin catalyst and the acetone, but they didn't take the isopropyl alcohol which is also flammable. Had I been asked to send this product back I would have however a chemical removal company was hired on the day to remove this. The cost for this removal is being passed on to me however under the tenant act of 2019 it seems to be prohibited charge. I just wanted to confirm this with you and enquire into the possibility of claiming the cost of the resin back.

Hi thank you for your message, this would not be a permitted fee under the act and therefore you should be able to dispute the fee, as well as requesting compensation for the items disposed of. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you very much. What law allows me to claim compensation and how do you suggest that I word this letter.