How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 11297
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

I have some debts to pay bailiffs coming to my house every

This answer was rated:

hi i have some debts to pay bailiffs coming to my house every day but i i’m not working for the moment i can pay any money how can i do to fix this to be able to pay by instalments every month
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: kingston
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: i have paid already many of my fine tickets almost 4-5k i still have around 5-6k to pay but i i’m not working anymore and bailifts visits is making worst my situation
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no i just need help to stop them coming to the house and trying to take control of goods i’m willing to pay i just neeed time and to pay in small amounts

Hello, this is Jim and I am a dual-qualified lawyer (UK & Republic of Ireland) happy to help you this evening.

If the bailiff is harassing you then a complaint to their office would be in order - and if they continue then you can apply to the court to strip them of their licence (due to harassment).

If you tell the bailiffs that you are not paying, assuming they are not high court bailiffs they cannot enter your property. So turn them away - if the claimant then sues, say you lose the claim, you can ask the court to pay in installments via form N245 (you'd need to wait until the CCJ is awarded to the claimant first though). You can't stop bailiffs coming to the house unless they harass you (harassment is unwanted conduct designed to cause the victim alarm or distress). If you tell them in no uncertain terms you are not paying and to invite the claimant to issue a claim (which you can then defend, or if you accept it then you can ask to pay in installments to the court).

Can I help with anything else?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
today they come and the bailift man called the police i just said to him i can’t pay it full i don’t really have any money i’m willing to pay but slowly as i’m unemployed and mother of three kids and waiting to be assigned to benefits for helping me out so i have beee polite not rude at all and the guy just call the police on me for not paying the bill in full in that moment

The Police wouldn't be involved as this is a civil matter (unless the bailiff was assaulted or something which warrants Police attention)

Is there anything else I can clarify for you?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
they where coming and no one assault offend or say anything to the guy he was so calm when he just ring the police
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i would like to know how can i proceed as i’m willing to pay my debt i’m responsible about that but i just need time to pay i small amounts..
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
to stop them coming in my house i was shaking and terrified from the way he knocked the door i’m beeping honest about this i was really shaking and intimidated i’m my house i’m front of my kids i just need to know how to do them to stop from coming and saying they will take my belongings i’m willing to pay of course i just need time

Like I say you would need to contact their office and make a complaint - to tell them to stop the harassment. You don't need to let them in to your property either - you can speak to the creditor and make an offer to pay which if accepted means they won't use the bailiffs. The creditor can also tell the bailiffs to stop if the bailiffs are not following the rules (which includes harassing you). If you write to the bailiff's office, send a copy to the creditor so they both know what you are saying.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
this bailifts are the JBW judicial service groups and they did accept any way for me to pay by instalments they wanted all full thua is unbelievable to put someone in that possession with no other choice by pay or we call police

If you make a complaint to them - say that you consider their tactics to breach the law under the Protection from Harassment Act 1997 - you can email them at :***@******.***

That should generate a response from them - if they continue then you would need to consider an application to the local county court for an injunction (I can detail how to do that). For the letter, download a "cease and desist" one from and post it to:

  • JBW Group Limited, 9th Floor, Peninsular House, Monument Street, London, EC3R 8LJ.

The letter needs to demand they stop their conduct within 7 days otherwise you will make an application for a civil injunction.

If you want me to detail how to apply for an injunction, please let me know.

I hope this helps? If you would kindly leave me a 5 star rating (at the top of your screen), any follow up questions are welcomed and I will be credited for helping you today.

Many thanks,


JimLawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
pls i would like you to help me with this case
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i did rate you the5 star and left 20% tip i would love to leave more but this is my situation now

That's very kind of you - thank you. I have also replied to your other questions about the injunction.

Best wishes,