JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

I just had a terrifying experience with someone who

Hi ... i just had a terrifying experience with someone who presented themselves as HMRC and they told me that there is an arrest warrant for me for tax fraud which is impossible as i did self assessment and was told that I don't have anything to pay
JA: Do you have any upcoming court dates on the fraud charges?
Customer: no
JA: Where did the fraud occur?
Customer: tax evasion they say and defrauding the government but i was never contacted before except to complete a self assessment which i did and was told i only owe 57 pounds and i paid
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i dont think so thanks so very much ... im super terrified as I don't know what's happening

Hello, this is Jim and I am a dual-qualified lawyer (UK & Republic of Ireland) happy to help you this evening.

Did they visit you or contact you by telephone/email?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I received a phone call saying that I have defrauded the government for £2100. They told me that I have to either right then and there and pay over the phone
or i have to argue my case in court and will most likely go to prison

That is definitely a scam - HMRC would never contact you in such a way. Just block them and do not pay them any money.

If you have the number they rang you on, send an email to [email protected]

Also go to this site, scroll down to "bogus phone calls" :

www.gov.uk/government/publications/phishing-and-bogus-emails-hm-revenue-and-customs-examples/phishing-emails-and-bogus-contact-hm-revenue-and-customs-examples

I hope this helps? If you would kindly leave me a 5 star rating (at the top of your screen), any follow up questions are welcomed and I will be credited for helping you today.

Many thanks,

Jim

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Because I couldn't pay that money at once without notifying my bank, I was told to buy a £2100 post office travel money card and send it to BT1 6GS and they were threatening me

Did you pay that?