Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
106282438

My letting agents let themselves into my flat today while I

Hi, my letting agents let themselves into my flat today while I was naked in the shower without any notice. What are my legal options?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I have reported the incident to the letting agents office
JA: Where is the flat located?
Customer: Solihull
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have given notice to leave the property already before this incident happened

Am sorry to hear about the situation.

It appears that the agents actions amounts to a potential breach of your tenancy agreement. Further this action breached your right to the peaceful enjoyment of the property.

You can also use this breach as a form leverage to negotiate an early release from the tenancy agreement without paying any applicable fees or rent. To do this you can inform them that if dont consider your offer you consider filling a complaint with the property redress scheme which is a service for tenants to report agencies misconduct.

Do you understand what I have stated if not please let me know?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
thank you for getting back to me so swiftly. I would need to put this in writing to them as soon as possible, is that correct?

Yes please put that in writing ASAP as this will show you did not accept such conduct. Further ensure you drive home the point the visit was done without notice and your were NOT prepared for such visit thus contravening your right to the peaceful enjoyment of the property.

I hope I have clarified the position if not please let me know

However if I have clarified the position please before you leave JA today please rate the assistance provided by clicking on the 5 stars button at the top of your screen as this will help improve the service given in future.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for your help tonight!

Your welcome and have a good night

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Anthony, just a quick question. What if they are not a member of the property redress scheme? Also should I report them trespassing to the police?