How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 16147
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My husband bought his flat 1991 for his own residence. After

This answer was rated:

My husband bought his flat 1991 for his own residence. After getting married 5yrs ago we lived in my home and rented the flat out, declaring the income to the revenue, because my husband is self employed . The mortgage has 7months to completion. We now wish to sell the property . As it was never a buy to let mortgage and it was used as his main residence for 20 odd years ,are we liable for capital gains tax? If so, can we avoid this by going back to live there for a couple of months?

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in the UK. You do not pay capital gains tax for any of the periods that your husband lived in the property. As well is that you do not pay capital gains tax for the last three years of ownership. From what you say therefore there will be a two year period only which might be liable for capital gains tax on a proportionate basis. Your husband also has his annual exempt allowance of £12,000 to deduct from that proportionate gain. Acquisition and disposal costs can also be deducted if required. He has owned the property for 29 years. Take the price paid for the flat In 1991 and deduct that from its current value. Divide that by 29 and multiplied by two and that is the net capital gain. If that is less than £12,000 there will be no tax to pay. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating on the star rating system on your screen. That will allow JustAnswer to credit me for helping you today.

JGM and other Law Specialists are ready to help you