Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
106282438

We had building work completed in October 2018. In the last

We had building work completed in October 2018. In the last month, a leak has come through the kitchen ceiling under the new bathroom. There would previously have been no pipe work there so it must be related to the building project. The building company says plumbing and electrical were only guaranteed for 12 months so will not come and assess the problem. Surely this is related to substandard work completed. What are my rights after a 12 month guarantee period. (I don’t recall being told plumbing was only guaranteed for 12 months and the rest of the build is guaranteed for 10 years, but I guess it’s possible they might have told me in one of our initial conversations).
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Emailed the building company with pictures, assuming they would come round and investigate. Have had very short reply saying outside 12 month guarantee so nothing they can do
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of! Just trying to find out whether there are rights (similar to Sale of Goods Act, for example, that can apply for 6 years) that apply to these sorts of services that might protect me beyond the 12 month period

Am sorry to hear about your situation.

I will review your question and will return to you today.

Please note this is not a chat service therefore you may experience delays

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok, thank you. I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks for your patience.

Your rights are under the consumers rights act 2015 which states services provided must be done with reasonable care and skill. Given the circumstances it appears the works were not performed with reasonable care and skill which is likely the cause of the leak.

The link below is the law I am referring to.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/section/49/enacted

Further if this right is breached it arguably amounts to a breach of contract and you are right that you have 6 years to consider bringing court action to seek redress.

Do you understand what I have stated if yes I will proceed to the next step

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok, thanks. In which case is the 12 month warranty irrelevant? Because the leak after 16 months would still suggest the service was not performed with reasonable care and skill.

Arguably yes if you are certain the source of the leak it was due to faulty workmanship.

I suggest you contact the service provideprand remind them of your rights and inform to come and rectify the issues at no costs to you

If they disagree notify them to provide their final position in writing as you intend to file a complaint with the ombudsman to consider the matter who can resolve the matter and award compensation

I hope I have clarified the position if not please let me know

However if I have clarified the position please before you leave JA today please rate the assistance provided by clicking on the 5 stars button at the top of your screen.

Do you want the ombudsman website details?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you. Will do!

Your welcome

Please don't forget to rate the assistance provided as this will credit me for the assistance provided.

Rating does not come at any extra costs.