JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

I have just received a bill that I think is unfair, what can

Hi, I have just received a bill that I think is unfair, what can I do? They sent someone round to ease my windows, he was here long enough to spray silicone spray on the metal bits of 3 tiny windows. Less than 5 minutes. I had asked before he came out how much would it be and also I asked him how much...he said the office would invoice me probably just a call out d fee...they have bailed me 72 pounds...wayyyy more that I would have expected. This is unfair profiteeri g surely?whag can I do?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: HAYLE in cornwall
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None, the bill must arrive this morning
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
When I asked the office ( before he came) they said if it was simple he would tell me but if more complicated them he would give me a quote and come back another day... I asked him again and he said the office would decide and problem only charge me a small call out fee.

Hello, this is Jim and I am a dual-qualified lawyer (UK & Republic of Ireland) happy to help you today.

They should have been transparent with you before sending you a bill, especially as you asked them. I recommend you tell them their bill is too high and that you ask them to reduce it, or you will report them to Trading Standards (Tel: 03454 040506). That should generate a response from you as they will not want Trading Standards to investigate any unfair trading practices, including this one. Let me know if the company helps or not - if not then you should defend any claim they might make against you - I can't see them doing it as the court fee would be £25 and their claim would probably fail due to unfair contractual terms and breach of consumer law.

I hope this helps? If you would kindly leave me a 5 star rating (at the top of your screen), any follow up questions are welcomed and I will be credited for helping you today.

Many thanks,

Jim