How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 11200
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

I have joined a dating site called Singles50 and I want to

This answer was rated:

I have joined a dating site called Singles50 and I want to cancel my subscription. The only way they say I can do this is by Fax. As Fax is now obsolete it basically it makes it impossible to cancel. Also I only joined 5 days go so is it within the law to cancel and get a complete refund. I paid for six months at 179.94 euros. Unfortunately after looking on the internet I see I’m not the only person in this situation. They seem to have a record of making it virtually impossible for people to unsubscribe and keep renewing even when you don’t want them to. Can you advise me on what my rights are please? I think it’s very unfair as it would seem that they are praying on older and more vulnerable people.
JA: Where is this? And just to clarify, when was the purchase made?
Customer: It's a site on the internet and the purchase was made on the 10.2.2020
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I phoned my bank and have put a stop on them renewing my next subcription but they can't stop the one I have made for 179.84
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Only is it right that there as a cooling off peroid of 14 days so in law should I be netitled to a full refund

Hello, this is Jim and I am a dual-qualified lawyer (UK & Republic of Ireland) happy to help you today.

Where is the company based? Under EU consumer law, you have a 14 day cooling-off period (EU consumer law still applies in the UK during the transition period).

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Unfortunately I don't know where they are based but I would presume in the UK

OK, you should tell them you want to cancel - fax is their option but as long as you give "notice", usually in writing, or email, or letter, then you are fine.

Threaten to report them to Trading Standards (tel: 03454 040506) unless they reimburse you in full. I will find their address now.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you that would be helpful to have their address and you have answered all I want to know

They are based in Luxembourg from looking at their terms. If you use the attached template and send it to them - by email and also by post to : "Singles 50", be2 S.à.r.l. of13 rue du Commerce, L-1351 Luxembourg, Luxembourg

So if you also ask your bank whether a charge-back is possible - some banks offer this. If not then you would need to sue the company - you cannot use the European Small Claims procedure any more so you'd need an N1 claim form and N510 service out of UK jurisdiction form (I have copies of both) - perhaps come back here after 14 days assuming you have not been reimbursed - you should include your bank details in the letter to them (IBAN, BIC code, name of bank, name of account) to allow them to pay you within 14 days.

I hope this helps? If you would kindly leave me a 5 star rating (at the top of your screen), any follow up questions are welcomed and I will be credited for helping you today.

Many thanks,


JimLawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No problem you have been most helpful

Thank you, ***** ***** good day.