UK Solicitor John
UK Solicitor John, Solicitor
Experience:  8 years legal experience
106125879

I am interested in the rules for receiving unemployment

Hi, I am interested in the rules for receiving unemployment benefits.
JA: Have you discussed this unemployment issue with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: I am working still there and don't want to talk about this with my employer.
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: I am live in carer and I'm planning to look for another job but ehile i'm looking for another job, I want to be sure about unemployment benefits.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is Jo C, I’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

I am sorry but if you are a live in carer then you are not available for work so will not meet the test. There may be other benefits you can seek but not unemployment benefit.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
What it means - I am not available for work?

If you are a live in carer then you are available for work. That is what being a carer means.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Of course, I also work in this moment how personal assistant.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I am from Latvia and I am working in the UK for 12 years. I don't know, maybe these benefits are called different here. These are benefits paid when you leave the job while you find another job.

sorry, can't help because you left a negative rating.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Sorry, I think you didn't want to understand me and help me! Indifferent attitude! :(

Ok, but I still won't be able to answer further because you have left a negative rating. All the best.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
What rating can I leave if I don't get an answer and respond?

Hello, you’ll need to be available to work to be eligible for unemployment benefits , and at the moment you’re not.
If you become unemployed and meet the criteria then you can apply.

You can find out more information on the government website https://www.gov.uk/jobseekers-allowance which should help you understand further and check your eligibility as well as any other benefits which you may be entitled to.

Does this help at all?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Hi, Thank you for the information! I have a question, I am working with company since 11/11/2016. I am a live-in carer. I have a zero-hour contract. Due to Covid-19, I don't feel safe to continue to work, travelling from one client to another. They are usually long distances from one client to another. I have lung health issues and I suffer from asthmatic cough. I feel safer staying home and not going to work while the situation changes.
I wanted to ask if I am eligible for financial support while I am unable to go for work?

Hello thanks for your question. I would be grateful if you would provide a positive rating by clicking the stars above, and then post your new question in a new thread. This is because, unfortunately, it is outside my expertise and another expert would be better suited to help you.

I hope this helps and all the best to you. John.

UK Solicitor John, Solicitor
Experience: 8 years legal experience
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I have a question, I am working with the company since 11/11/2016. I am a live-in carer. I have a zero-hour contract. Due to Covid-19, I don't feel safe to continue to work, travelling from one client to another. They are usually long distances from one client to another. I have lung health issues and I suffer from asthmatic cough. I feel safer staying home and not going to work while the situation with Covid-19 changes.

Hello, it is possible if you are a high risk person and unable fulfil your duties. But you would need to speak with an employment lawyer as I am afraid this is outside my expertise. If you post this question as new under the employment law category, then a suitable expert will be able to assist you. All the best.