Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

Due to this corona virus I'm high risk (diabetes type 1) but

Due to this corona virus I'm high risk (diabetes type 1) but only if I'm showing symptoms if I self isolate for 12 weeks while not showing symptoms as I feel it would be to late am I still legible for the 80% pay that the government are offering? I work in a builders yard dealing with customers and it's difficult to stay over 2 meters away when loading their vehicles. Any advise on what I can do will help as family and work are very conflicting right now.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Only on what's been advised trying to stay 2 meters away washing hands regularly and testing my blood sugar more often then usual
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Don't think so

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

Can I just check, how long have you worked for your employer?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Nearly 2 years
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Sorry I don't have £44

No problem at all re the phone call and thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Many thanks for your patience. Sadly the details about how exactly the Government will cover this 80% of pay are still rather sparse so we are all working with rather limited information. At this stage, it is a case of wait and see until full details have been revealed as I am sure there will be certain conditions which just be met for someone to be eligible. Also, it is not guaranteed that every employee would be covered, it is generally going to be down to employers to decide that but the money would be there for them to use if needed.

As far as the current situation is concerned, anyone who has made the decision to self isolate is treated as being off sick and only entitled to the sick pay they are due under contract, which could be as low as SSP. If it is the employer who has forced you to self-isolate then you should be paid as normal, unless there is a lay off clause allowing them to send you off work unpaid.

For now you just have to wait for the full details of the offer to be released by the Government- as you can appreciate this is such a fast moving situation and things change not just daily, but by the hour so keep a look out for further details once released.

Does this clarify things a little bit more for you?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Yes it does thanks for getting back to me

All the best