Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

I have paid a wedding venue in full and due to the current

Customer Question

I have paid a wedding venue in full and due to the current circumstances they can no longer hold the event, can I get my full advance payment refunded?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I asked him to refund me due to the unpredictable future and he refused to offer me a refund and he is only offering me postponement option
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no, I just want to know my legal position
Expert:  Jo C. replied 18 days ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is Jo C, I’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 18 days ago.

Are they offering a new date?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Ok so I paid a venue and catering company full amount to provide service and due to the Coronavirus the event can’t take place, due to the uncertainty of the situation I want a full refund, but the service provider refused and said they can only offer me another date
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I don’t want the call
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Ok so I wanted to know how can I approach this and what is my legal position
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Yes they are offering a new date
Expert:  Jo C. replied 18 days ago.

I presume the wedding itself will have to be moved to another date?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Due to the situation we may not want to do the wedding as planned before and will want to switch it to simple ceremony since we can have the full planned wedding on the time we wanted
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Do we have a legal position to press the service provider to refund us we don’t know what could take place in the coming Weeks/months and we don’t want to go through the same stress anticipating something that may not take place again ?
Expert:  Stuart J replied 18 days ago.

I have asked to look at this for you.

You are not obliged to accept anything which rolls over to next year, vouchers, or rescheduling of the event. It is not your fault that it’s been cancelled and therefore, you should get a full refund.

What is happening of course is that the organisers have already incurred costs and will make a substantial loss if they have to refund everyone. Therefore, they are braving it out and getting as many people as they can rollover.

I think it’s going to be a case that those who shout the loudest are going to get heard first and if they don’t pay up, give them a deadline and tell them failing which you will issue Small Claims Court proceedings without further notice.

We are in unprecedented situation and therefore, we don’t know what view the Small Claims Court is going to take on this. I would therefore getting first before anybody else or before the rush.

If you paid the fee by credit card or paid even part of the fee by credit card then make a section 75 claim with the Credit card company.

Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act put liability onto the credit card company along with the merchant in respect of any purchases over GBP100 and under GBP30,000.

If I have answered your question for you, at the top of the page, you should see a rating facility. Can you please rate my reply 3 stars or more because that really helps me? Please note you are not rating whether it’s favourable, because sometimes you may not get the answer you want, but basically my knowledge and way of dealing.

The thread does not close and I am happy to answer any questions you may have arising from this.