Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I'm currently on unpaid leave at work or stand by as their

Hi there I'm currently on unpaid leave at work or stand by as their calling it and could be anywhere up to 8 weeks or longer I am however still on the paye roll and due my last wage on thursday I'm wondering if I'd be entitled to 80% of my wages to be paid from the government so I know where I stand as my employer left me on the dark
JA: Have they discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: I had a meeting friday gone in which they told be I'd have to go on temporary stand by and I haven't heard anymore of them I'm wondering if I should join a union i dont know my rights or what I'm entitled to it's been my only job I've been there 7years and am at a complete loss I have Bill's due and dont know what to do
JA: Does the workplace operate with employees, freelancers, consultants, contractors or with unionised employees?
Customer: Sorry it's a taxi company and I'm a telephone operator so with business been very quiet they no longer have hours for me I'm normally on a 32hour week which I have a contract for
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No not really just would like to know where I stand whether my employer should be applying for government help or whether I'm best of signing up for universal credit just I privately rent and i have a lot of Bill's to pay and I dont know how I'm going to pay them

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok thank you

Is it possible to upload a copy of your contract on here?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
This is the last contract I signed
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Can we just continue on here I cant really afford the phone call at the moment

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Many thanks for your patience. The Government Scheme, called “The Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme” is in place to help employers meet wage demands whilst they have no work for their employees and would otherwise have to lay them off unpaid for a period of time. The plan is to cover 80% of affected employees’ wages, up to a maximum of £2,500 per month.

To benefit from the Scheme, employers will need to:

· Designate affected employees as ‘furloughed workers’

· Submit information to HMRC about these employees to claim the grants

Furloughed workers are “workforce who remain on payroll but are temporarily not working during the coronavirus outbreak”. Remember it is up to the employer to designate workers as being furloughed and that does not mean they cannot still make people redundant if necessary. So you could still find that employees are made redundant, whilst others are being furloughed and covered under the Scheme.

There are many, many unanswered questions at this time I’m afraid because it is such a fresh Scheme, which has been rushed through as an emergency and it will take time for the full details to come out and become clear exactly how it will be applied.

For now, it is a case of communicating with the employer, looking out for updates on the news and taking it each day at a time.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Yes thank you for your time

All the best