12826847

I have questions about claiming child benefits and tax

Good morning! I have questions about claiming child benefits and tax credits illegally please
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: chelmsford
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: obviously this is an automatic response from your side. Ok, no steps
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: This is my wife who has done this!!
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
hello!
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
anyone over there?

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is Jo C, I’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

can you give me all the background information please

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Sure
My wife applied for child benefits and tax credits some time ago. She never told me about that! I discovered this accidentally when we were applying for a mortgage.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
When I knew, I had a fight with her and she said she called them later to cancel
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
She refuses to call HMRC whilst I am there for me to check that she truly cancelled these! Also they refused to give me any information without her permission!! This is really frustrating and I do not know what to do!

Ok, are you asking if you can report this? Or what are the consequences of not doing so?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Yes please

The short answer is that it depends if they catch you. If they do then you could be prosecuted. There is an offense that allows them to prosecute men who are living with women who claimed illegally.

Isn't the solution though just to phone them and declare that this amount has been claimed in error. You can do it in a way that is truthful by just saying that you as a family have received this amount and you do not believe you are entitled to it. They should just ask you to repay and that should be the end of that

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
That all makes sense and was my intention. Problem is that my wife is not co-operative and refuses to call them while I am around. She claims she called and cancelled but she has been telling lies about many other things. I cannot trust her on that and I am not happy for the possibility that we could be getting money that is not ours!! HMRC refuse to talk to me as I am not the account holder!!

Yes, so do it yourself without her input. You can always write in. She won't be happy but it is a lot better than being prosecuted.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Will do, many thanks Jo!

No problem and all the best.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/