Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I. have been off sick since Jan 20, 2020 after an accident

Hi, I. have been off sick since Jan 20 , 2020 after an accident after breaking a few bones, I am due to start back to work on Sunday 29th March. I normally work 38 / 40 hours, however, after being on statutory sick pay how will I be on if shop closes for COV19?
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: No, as I won't see anyone until Sunday.
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: I am an employee and have been employed for two years with this employer, I'm currently not a member of Usdaw but have been previously.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No,I don't think so

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

How long have you worked for your employer?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hi, just over two years.

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Many thanks for your patience. If you are not able to work due to the shop closing then the employer has a couple of options – they can look at making employees redundant, in the event that they need to reduce headcount. They could also ask employees to be laid off, which means not being asked to work, whilst they receive just a minimum guarantee payment.

The Government Scheme, called “The Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme” is in place to help employers meet wage demands whilst they have no work for their employees and would otherwise have to lay them off unpaid for a period of time. The plan is to cover 80% of affected employees’ wages, up to a maximum of £2,500 per month.

To benefit from the Scheme, employers will need to:

· Designate affected employees as ‘furloughed workers’

· Submit information to HMRC about these employees to claim the grants

Furloughed workers are “workforce who remain on payroll but are temporarily not working during the coronavirus outbreak”. Remember it is up to the employer to designate workers as being furloughed and that does not mean they cannot still make people redundant if necessary. So you could still find that employees are made redundant, whilst others are being furloughed and covered under the Scheme.

There are many, many unanswered questions at this time I’m afraid because it is such a fresh Scheme, which has been rushed through as an emergency and it will take time for the full details to come out and become clear exactly how it will be applied.

For now, it is a case of communicating with the employer, looking out for updates on the news and taking it each day at a time.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.

All the best