How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask F E Smith Your Own Question
F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 15133
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

Ive received a loss adjustor letter stating I owe money for

This answer was rated:

hi, ive received a loss adjustor letter stating I owe money for damage I made by my vehicle to a business premises. I'd like some advice please on my rights and how to respond. Sam
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London, uk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: the letter wa received late last week. I've not made contact yet
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: the incident was over a year ago and this is the first contact ive had with them thanks

Good afternoon. I will assist with your question - be aware this is an email not chat service therefore i maybe delayed in replying.

can you give me all the background to your question please

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Is this a confidential service?

I’m afraid not, it’s public forum. There is no way to make it private although no one knows who you are or where you are, including me and I don’t need to.


I would need to know whether you admit the damage and whether your insurance is paying for it or not. I need the full background detail please. Thank you

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi. I didn't notify my insurance company at the time. It was over a year ago. The police were called but I wasn't charged. I haven't admitted liability to anyone.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I no longer own the vehicle and no longer have the insurance policy.

Thank you. It doesn’t matter that you no longer have the vehicle and it doesn’t matter that you no longer have the insurance policy because you had the vehicle at the time that you had the accident and you had insurance at that time presumably.


I don’t why loss adjusters are involved but in my opinion they are lowlife. They try to justify their own gargantuan fee by reducing the amount of any claim.


You may have to pay the insurance excess on your policy which could be several hundred pounds. Otherwise the insurance should pay for all the damage if it was your fault and as you were driving on the wall was static, I can’t see how it could be anything else.


If you can let me see the loss adjusters letter, I can advise you further. Please remove any personal information.


Can I clarify anything else for you?


I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.


Please take a moment to look at the top right-hand corner of the page and rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen.


You may need to login again to use the rating service. Although it says "rate to finish" it doesn't close the thread and we can still exchange emails.


It's important that you use the rating service because that gives me credit.


It doesn't just give me a pat on the head! It's what gets me paid!!


There is also an experts incentive scheme whereby the more 5 star ratings I get I do actually get a pat on the head!


All you need to do is press Submit.


Thank you.


If you still need any points clarifying, I will still reply because the thread does not close.


Best wishes.




F E Smith and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you