31090051

Which foreign judgements can be recognized under common law?

Customer Question

Which foreign judgements can be recognized under common law? Is it true that it’s only for monetary judgements?
Expert:  JGM replied 6 days ago.

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland. I will be helping you today. Foreign judgments are not automatically recognised by the common law. In other words you can take a judgment of one country and enforce it directly in another. The judgment has to be registered in the courts of the country it is to be enforced in using any treaties for reciprocal enforcement between the countries. Reciprocal enforcement is not just for payment actions. It can cover other types of case such as delivery, abduction and child maintenance. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating on the star rating system on your screen. That will allow JustAnswer to credit me for helping you today.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Hi. Is it true that it’s only for monetary judgements?
Expert:  JGM replied 5 days ago.

No. See my answer above.