How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask marcusmalin Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2032
Type Your Law Question Here...
marcusmalin is online now

My daughters dad and I aren’t together anymore and we have

This answer was rated:

Hi my daughters dad and I aren’t together anymore and we have shared custody but because of current situation am I in my right to say she has to stay at home with me thank you
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: no because we have arranged between ourselves custody arrangements
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: Hampshire. Basically because of the covid 19 I want to isolate my 1 year old but I know that dad won’t be happy. Am I in my right to keep her at home
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thank you

Hello, my name is Marcus.

As you can imagine this has become quite an issue.

Firstly as you have no order in place then it's a matter for you you too agree.

I appreciate that may be somewhat difficult and ordinarily if there is a dispute an application can be made to the court.

However in light of the circumstances it is likely to take the court quite some time to process any such application.

Therefore strictly speaking you can decide to isolate the children and there is little father can do about it at this time.

Ultimately though an application can be made to the court by father who may take a view that father can also quite easily isolate the children whilst in his care.

Obviously the approach of the court is unknown.

I also believe it will depend on father's circumstances. If for instance he is still working say for the NHS the court are likely to be supportive of you. If however he is self isolating at home then there is little risk to the children and as such the court would order the present arrangements to continue.

But in short in law there is nothing stopping you from taking the lead.

Thank you.




Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Ok that is great thank you for your help. As it goes he is really blaze about things and isn’t taking things seriously

If that is his attitude then all the more reason to be proactive and take the lead.

You just need to be able to justify that any steps you took you considered to be in the children's best interests.

Thank you.


Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Ok thank you for your help

You are most welcome.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Hello could I ask for some advice please


I am sorry - just seen your further request.

How can I help.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
It’s ok all sorted now thank you

Good stuff.

Keep safe.

marcusmalin and other Law Specialists are ready to help you