F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

Very I do live in a flat since the past three years without

Very good afternoon. I do live in a flat since the past three years without contract With this Coronavirus problem I lost my job and might be challenging for me to pay the full rent for now The landlord told me that if I don t pay I have to leave :-( what could I do ?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Brixton I do live in London since 4.5 years in this flat since nearly 3 years
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: We have sent an email to the owner to try to be a bit more flexible in terms of rent ( a bit lower as one of us is now part time and I have no job ) however he was not understanding at all we always paid on time we never created problem We simply asked to be a bit more flexible for this period but he didn’t want to listen and said .. if you don’t have money you have to leave
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No just to know our rights ( if we have ) and our duties in terms of paying full rent without a contract Thank you so much

Good afternoon. I will assist with your question - be aware this is an email not chat service therefore i maybe delayed in replying.

did the landlord just reply with a definite NO?

did you ask him how anyone is going to afford rent if huge numbers are unemployed?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
The landlord didn’t even want to find a compromise he said : if you don’t have money you have to leave. He simply said, I will find someone else and now we don’t really know what to do

The law is not in place yet, it has only been announced but here is the news that he cannot evict you for three months at least:

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/landlords-banned-starting-eviction-proceedings-17946053

The problem for you is that she actually doesn’t need a court order to get you out because she lives in the property with you.

So at the moment you don’t have to do anything because even if it gives you a section 21 notice, the court will not take on application to evict you.

You might want to let the landlord read the article because clearly he is not aware of the current situation which is admittedly changing by the hour

Can I clarify anything else for you?

I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

Please take a moment to look at the top right-hand corner of the page and rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen.

You may need to login again to use the rating service. Although it says "rate to finish" it doesn't close the thread and we can still exchange emails.

It's important that you use the rating service because that gives me credit.

It doesn't just give me a pat on the head! It's what gets me paid!!

There is also an experts incentive scheme whereby the more 5 star ratings I get I do actually get a pat on the head!

All you need to do is press Submit.

If you still need any points clarifying, I will still reply because the thread does not close.

Best wishes.

FES

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thank you for your prompt reply. The landlord doesn’t live with us. Is that changing anything?

It just means that the landlord has to give you a section 21 notice to quit which cannot expire before the end of the term or a section 8 notice if there are 2 months arrears.

However as you read from the article, the courts have put a ban on landlords evicting tenants for three months