Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I work at a Lighting Company as a lighting designer. I've

Customer Question

Hi, I work at a Lighting Company as a lighting designer. I've just been asked over the phone to either take a 30% wage decrease or redundancies will be issued. Can they do that with the current Corona virus situation?
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: I've discussed with manager and they said we need to make decisions asap. I haven't discussed with a lawyer. That's why I'm on here.
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: Employee, I don't belong to a union.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thank you.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 18 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 18 days ago.

How long have you worked there for?

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 18 days ago.

If possible, please upload a copy of your contract on here

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I've worked there for 2 years and 4 months.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I don't have access to my contract right now.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 18 days ago.

OK no problem and thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 18 days ago.

Many thanks for your patience. Many businesses across the country are taking whatever measures are necessary to safeguard their existence and that does unfortunately mean employees are facing cuts in pay, hours or redundancies and lay offs. Your employer has asked you to volunteer to a pay cut and if that does not happen, then they may need to look at redundancies. It is their choice whether redundancies are needed and will go ahead. Whilst the Gov’t has announced a scheme to help with paying the wages of employees who are not getting paid because of lack of work, it is up to the employer whether they use it and save jobs in the short term by taking the pressure of them having to pay wages to staff when no work for them exists. However, if they consider that it is better to make staff redundant, they may do so. You can consider the pay cut to safeguard your job but also can remind the employer that the Gov’t scheme exists and ask whether they have considered it.

Does this answer your query?

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 17 days ago.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can simply reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’ and I won’t bother you again. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 16 days ago.

Hello, not sure if you are having trouble seeing my posts? I have not heard back from you since posting my answer and just need to know if your query has been resolved. If you could please post a quick reply to confirm I would be very grateful. Thank you