How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 15854
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

Evicted by the police in October 2015, lodging with friends

This answer was rated:

Evicted by the police in October 2015, lodging with friends since . Because of Covid 19 have to leave because of the nature of my work as a mini cab driver and friends with a child of low immune system . On the street now . What do I do
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: In Sutton Surrey
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: Nothing. What can I do
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: If I am still entitled as homeless since it is the police who evicted me in 2015 and secondly due to covid 19 . I’m now 51

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is Jo C, I’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Ok . Thank

I have been asked to look at this for you.

The police do not normally get involved in evictions.


What happened 5 years ago and why have you done nothing about regularising the situation since in getting another rented property?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I only went to lodge with a family friend after my release from bail not to return to my marital home . I even didn’t know it was my right to ask the council for accommodation
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Now the reality is I have to leave because of Covid 19

That is not the same as being evicted by the police. It would appear there was an incident and that there was either a bail condition on a restraining order preventing you returning to the house.


You can go to the Housing Department at the local authority but they will only normally put you on a list unless you have dependent children otherwise you are faced with private renting.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
How do I please start the process

You will need to telephone the housing department at the Local Council and explain the urgency of the situation.

They may not be able to help because you do not have dependent children and so the only other alternative is private renting for which you would need to speak to a letting agent.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I’m sorry I cannot afford private renting

Council then


Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Is there a scheme from the local council for people over 50 years ?

I not aware of anything. You would need to contact them.

I’m going to opt out of the question thread for another expert to consider. They may have a suggestion for you because I am at a loss I’m afraid.


Please don’t reply because if you do the question returns to my inbox as requiring my attention and it will slowdown any other expert replying to you. Thank you

Hello my name is Jamie and I will help you with this.

What do you want to know about this today please?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
About my ability to local council housing

You want to know if you are entitled to a Council property?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.

Why did the Police evict you?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Allegations by ex partner of domestic abuse
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I was granted bail not to return
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
to the family home again

Ok - so you want to know whether the Council are obliged to re-house you?

Do you have kids or anything with you, or are you on your own?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
On my own since

Ok - the Council isnt obliged to re-house you.

You are not a high priority since you dont have children etc.

They will be higher on the Council list than you.

Whilst you could apply for Housing Benefit so you can rent, you can contact the Council to see if anything is available.

But given that homeless people with children have a higher priority there may not be anything available.

But they may be able to assist with private rent.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Giving the fact the I have been asked to leave where I use to lodge since the issue with the police in October 15 , since the outbreak of Covid because I pose as a high risk as a Cab driver and also they have a disabled child whose immune system is very low . What is the situation now with the council?

Ok - but you can ask the Council.

You cant demand they give you one. if someone else is the higher priority they get in before you.
But until you contact the Council and go on the list, you wont know.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Yes. Thanks

Can I assist with anything else today?

Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 15854
Experience: Solicitor
Jamie-Law and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you