How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 23208
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now

I am at the begining of an enquiry.. I may need to sue N

Customer Question

I am at the begining of an enquiry.. I may need to sue N Power
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: I live in the Uk and this is my first legal contact
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have gone through the complaints team....who have done amixture of stonewalling me, lienig and refusing to see plain logic
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: *lieing
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 days ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is Jo C, I’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 days ago.

How can I help?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I am unsure how or if to proceed
Simply I moved house, N power then took 2 years to produce a bill for my utilities. Being Naive I allowed the bill to grow instead of setting up a direct debit to pay something until N power got their act together...This is not directly what I am contacting you about...So I then had a debt on the utilities account. I agreed a payment schedule with N Power which was basically Utility usage plus £22 per month towards the debt. The problem is that every 6 moths N Power would break that agreement and suddenly increase the direct debit from (as they have just done again ) £163 per month to £570 per month. I have usage plus debt payment and should be paying £199 per month. I have made a complaint an N Power has lied, stonewalled me and in a nutshell has caused me a huge huge amount of stress. At no time have I refused to pay for my usage nor the agreed debt payment. out of nowhere (after stonewalling me they have sent me a 'deadlock letter' and have intimated that the ombudsman is my next step. I have been on this merry go round with N power before to no avail as they repat this behaviour every 6 months. I am at my wits end. the unnecessary anxiety this is causing me.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Any one there?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you for not responding. Cancelling now
Expert:  Stuart J replied 11 days ago.

I have been asked to look at this for you.

I am afraid this is not a chat service. It’s email board and therefore, I may be delayed getting back to you.


Why have you not already complained to the ombudsman about this?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I was not expecting a chat service
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you for your time
Expert:  Stuart J replied 11 days ago.

There really are only 2 options here. The first one is to pay them what they are asking for (I accept cash through may not allow it) and take them to Small Claims Court for the overpayment.

The other one is to refer the matter to the Ombudsman.

If you have been dealing with this on the telephone, you need to follow it all up in writing in the post. A telephone call is easy to get lost. You now need to reply to the deadlock letter. If they have told you to go to the ombudsman, that’s what you now need to do.