How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 15658
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

My partner is a trainee pilot and booked a course in

This answer was rated:

Good Afternoon, my partner is a trainee pilot and booked a course in Peterborough. Due to the convid-19 pandemic, he has had to request a cancellation of the course as he is unable to stay at a hotel and dine out due to forced government closures. He has requested a refund of his deposit but the company in question has refused advising they will only delay the course and not refund. My partner will no longer be requesting this course and was never issued with terms and conditions nor was he issued a contract or joining advice so we're not sure whether this company are acting lawfully.
JA: Has he talked to a lawyer about this? What country does he live in? If different, what country does this legal question relate to?
Customer: No, we haven't spoken to a lawyer yet. We're after advice. We live in the UK and this relates to a UK company.
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: This is our first step as we are unsure where we stand.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hello my name is Jamie and I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

You need to write a letter, set out your losses and request a refund within 30 days or say you will go to Court. This is called a pre-action protocol letter of claim. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy. You must give 30 days warning before going to Court.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
We've sent an email on three occasions requesting the refund but the company just refuse.
Does the fact no T&C's were sent make any difference?

Yes, you can seek a refund.

Issue a claim NOW

Does that clarify?

If this answers your question could I invite you to rate me 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today?

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget as it is an important part of the online process! If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost. Thank you.

Jamie-Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you