Ed Turner
Ed Turner,
Experience:  Director and Consultant Solicitor (Self-Employed) at Ed Turner LLB Limited
107013918

I have a problem with my employer. Chatteris, I am a Manager

Customer Question

Hi, I have a problem with my employer.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Chatteris
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I am a Manager in Cambridge restaurant. I have been on maternity with a triplets babies. When my maternity has finished I took my annual holiday, what will end 30th march.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My company hired a new manager (not maternity cover) more than £6000/annual salary than me. When i try to ask same salary, they rwfused it, but i got £2000 pay rise. I couldn't accept this offer, because the nanny for my teiplets is really expensive and is not enough for me, so in this case i ask a tranfwr like a waitress to thw other branch
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
So I didn't get any confirmation letter about the transfer. 19th march when the restaurant closed i sent an email to HR, that bow what is going on with me. She replied, that they accept my tranfer request and my boss will contact with me that day. Until today nobody contact with me, si yesterday i sent an email to HR and my bosses that I would love to do is to let my Restaurant down at Cambridge in the most difficult times ever, so i would like to be stay in Cambrusge as a GM. Straight away i got a message, that my transfer request has veen confirmed and they will sned my bew contract as soon as they can.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
So my question is that i can not change my mind? Also if i haven't got a new contract, so i still a GM in the restaurant and if i am not gonna sign the new obe, what can they do?
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
And also because i did not get same offer like a current manager, is it not a discrimination??
Expert:  Ed Turner replied 5 days ago.

Hello. I am Ed, a Solicitor qualified in England & Wales with over a decade’s experience in the legal profession advising clients.

I specialise in Commercial Contracts, Business Transactions, Employment, Dispute Resolution, Personal Injury and Road Traffic Law and will be able to resolve your legal problem today.

Regarding the site’s automatic offer of a Premium Service Phone Call, I shall be delighted to talk with you by phone to discuss your issue in greater detail if you accept the offer.

However, if you do not want a phone call, please cancel the offer for a Premium Service Phone Call and you will not be charged extra.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 5 days ago.

Pregnancy and Maternity are “Protected Characteristics” under the Equality Act 2010. If you believe that you are being forced to leave your job, or return on less favourable terms as a result of your pregnancy, then you may have a claim for Automatic Unfair Dismissal and Discrimination and Detriment based on Pregnancy and Maternity.

You may lodge a Claim Form ET1 in the Regional Employment Tribunal within three months of the Effective Date of Dismissal or the Discriminatory Act complained of.

It is not inherently unlawful for an employer to make an employee who is pregnant or a new parent redundant. However, they must follow a fair redundancy procedure and select the pregnant/new mother employee for redundancy for reasons other than pregnancy and maternity. In other words, if I was advising your employer, I would be telling them to tread carefully before making you redundant.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 5 days ago.

I hope this resolves your enquiry. Please revert to me if you have any further questions and I will be delighted to assist.

Otherwise, I shall be grateful if you will please mark your enquiry as “Closed” and give me a “Positive” rating in order to conclude this matter.

LawyerEd

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 3 days ago.

Do you still need expert assistance in this matter?

Please revert to me if you have any further questions and I will be delighted to assist.

LawyerEd