How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jeremy Aldermartin Your Own Question
Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3906
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jeremy Aldermartin is online now

My fiancé died 19 months ago, we had been living together

Customer Question

My fiancé died 19 months ago, we had been living together for 3 years I nursed him through illness, when he died he worked for fords motor company, he had a wife he hadn’t seen or lived with for 21 years he hadn’t even been with her when he started at fords. Well he had started divorce proceedings and we had the nisi .. we were going to sort out the absolute when we got back from our holiday of a lifetime cruise, but unfortunately he got ill and died 10 days later so the ford pension went to his wife and left me with nothing, in the divorce emails I have an email saying she has no interest in his finances, my question is have I got any right to that pension and is it worth me going for it and get what’s rightly mine as he couldn’t stand her as she had left him all those years ago
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No nothing as I didn’t know if I had a case
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no but I can answer any questions
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 10 days ago.

Hi thank you for your message, unfortunately it is unlikely you will be obtain access to the pension however, it is not without hope either. On a more general basis you could make a claim on the estate including the pension under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975 which enables the court to vary the distribution of the estate to award a share or greater share of the estate to someone who could reasonably have expected a greater share of the estate to cover their needs. If you want to find a solicitor to assist with this process you can find a solicitor using the Law Society find a solicitor search option here: You can search by town or postcode to find one near you, as well as area of law in this case probate law. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.