Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

Hallo, I had been fired yesterday from Northgate Public

Hallo, I had been fired yesterday from Northgate Public Services because of the forced lock down. When I spoke to the agency Proman, which provided me the job where I performed well since spring 2019, the Agent told me they are not going to pay us the 80% of wages. My contact is typical zero hours contract, we are kept as required. The company Northgate Public Services was doing well and signed new contract with new client. They needed us. So the only reason they fired all the temporary staff is the coronavirus. Now no one wants to give us financial support during the quarantine.
JA: Have you discussed the termination with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: You are the first person. I only spoke to the agent over the phone. He told me they are not supposed to pay as anything expect holidays.
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: temporary employee But I work there since May 2019
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We, the temporary stuff had been dismissed after one worker spoke to police man who later asked the Company manager to send us home for at least 3 weeks because of coronavirus

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

What do you specifically want to know about this, please? Please note it is extremely busy at present due to the ongoing situation so there may will most likely be a delay in replying, but I will get back to you at some point today. Thanks

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I would like know if Proman is obliged to pay me and the other temporary workers who worked for Northgate Public Services the 80% of our usual pay during our by government forced lock down. The reality is that they fired us from our positions as administrators yesterday after speaking to a policeman who told the manager of Northgate to keep the workers safe and send them home.

Many thanks for your patience. First of all, the end client could have decided not to use your services at any time – you are an agency worker and have very few rights in terms of job security. The main point of using agency workers is that they are flexible and easily dispensable – you could be asked not to work at any time practically.

When it comes to the 80% schemed, sadly there is no clarification yetif agency workers or other workers, like those working on zero hours contracts will be covered and if so, how. All we know is that only employees on the payroll are covered and you are not one. However, more information may come out soon which clarifies what happens to agency workers. It is simply a case of waiting to see what the Government says – as you can appreciate so much has changed in such a short space of time that information can often be confusing, or non-existent to start with.

If you are covered, then at least any pay you may have been due could be backdated as far back as 1 March so you will not miss out in this waiting period until you work out if you have any protection.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Okay. Thank you very much for the answer. I don't have other questions.

All the best

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you, have a nice evening.

Many thanks, you too