SS Legal Advisor
SS Legal Advisor, Advocate
Experience:  Senior Caseworker at DL Solicitors
107664070

My lease holder tenants have sent me a letter request they

my lease holder tenants have sent me a letter request they are not intend to pay the rent due in April 2020 under the lease of contract .due to the Covid-19 economic impact had hit there business .
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: uk kent
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: nothing yet ,i need advise are they allow to not pay the rent ?
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: they asking me to sigh a consent form to agree but i did not do anything yet
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
what action should i do now ?
Hi there,There are no laws or regulations in place regarding tenants and the Covid-19 situation so therefore the tenants cannot take it upon themselves to confirm they are not paying rent.I would continue to stand firm with this and if they continue to not pay, then you will need to submit a section 8 order on them to claim the unpaid rent (this will go through the courts)Further information can be found on this link (scroll to the bottom) https://www.gov.uk/evicting-tenants/standard-possession-ordersI hope this helps and please leave positive feedback. If I can assist with anything else please do let me know.Kind regards,