Sagar S
Sagar S, Advocate
Experience:  IAAS Senior Caseworker at DL Solicitors
107664070

My lease holder tenants have sent me a letter request they

my lease holder tenants have sent me a letter request they are not intend to pay the rent due in April 2020 under the lease of contract .due to the Covid-19 economic impact had hit there business .
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: uk kent
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: nothing yet ,i need advise are they allow to not pay the rent ?
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: they asking me to sigh a consent form to agree but i did not do anything yet
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
what action should i do now ?
Hi there,

There are no laws or regulations in place regarding tenants and the Covid-19 situation so therefore the tenants cannot take it upon themselves to confirm they are not paying rent.

I would continue to stand firm with this and if they continue to not pay, then you will need to submit a section 8 order on them to claim the unpaid rent (this will go through the courts)

Further information can be found on this link (scroll to the bottom) https://www.gov.uk/evicting-tenants/standard-possession-orders

I hope this helps and please leave positive feedback. If I can assist with anything else please do let me know.

Kind regards,