How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INC Law Your Own Question
INC Law, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 14601
Experience:  LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
Type Your Law Question Here...
INC Law is online now

I have split up with my partner who I was cohabiting with. I

This answer was rated:

I have split up with my partner who I was cohabiting with. I have a key but he says I’m not allowed to enter the property without his permission?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Huddersfield England
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I left to give my partner time to cool down and took a few bits and tried to organise a van but impossible in the current climate. I informed my partner. Who had been verbal abusive and told me not to contact him until I could come for my things. Then he messaged me to tell me he’s away and I can collect a few things. When I arrived he had left the door unlocked. I took a few bits of clothes and secured the property now he’s claiming he hasn’t got a key to try and get me to leave the key in a safe place, leaving me without access to the property to get my belongings. I refused. He has told me I am breaking the law and that I cannot enter without his permission.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i have paid a monthly figure of £500 on the 27th of every month so I feel that I should at least be able to enter until the 27th


Thank you for your query. Are you married?

Who owns the property?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
We aren’t married, it is a rental property. The landlord lives on the same road
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I am not on the tenancy agreement
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
The property is £1200 per month and I don’t earn that so the landlord didn’t want me on the tenancy agreement as I couldn’t pay the rent if liable
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
But I had a credit check to move there


If it is a rental property and you are not on the tenancy agreement, ai am afraid you would be deemed to be a lodger and therefore the live in landlord, your partner, would be able to give reasonable notice. This could be as little as 24 hours.

Therefore, based in the information you have provided, I am of the opinion that you are not permitted to enter unless younhave authority from your former partner.

I am sorry if this was not the answer you were expecting.

I hope this answers your questions. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Many thanks

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
He has rang the police to get his key back is that correct
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Am I breaking the law


Yes, he is able to do this as you are not named on the tenancy agreement and are deemed to be a lodger.

Therefore, you would be seemed to be trespassing.

As I have answered your original question, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

Your question will not close and I will be happy to answer any follow up questions.

Many thanks

INC Law and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you