Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
106282438

For the attention of Chendro Please see response from my

For the attention of ***** *****droPlease see response from my landlordHi Kim,
It’s very difficult to comprehend the current situation. Everyone is suffering so it makes sense to work together to get through these (hopefully) short term issues.
I am keen to be as supportive as I can, without shooting myself in the foot so to speak. The rent from the property is used to support my parents in addition to covering the mortgage which means I need to be mindful of the implications of the property being empty for a period of time once you have left. Obviously this is a distinct possibility in the current climate. So whilst I can offer some assistance in the shorter-term, I am potentially exposed to a longer-term loss of rent which would have serious consequences for both my parents and me. As you mention, we have a tenant lined up who is highly recommended by Royal Docks and so I am nervous (given the position outlined above) of that arrangement falling through if there is a considerable delay. I do, however, acknowledge your own efforts in looking after the flat throughout the tenancy and we are naturally sorry to see you go.
Clearly there is very little that can be done if you believe you are not able to vacate the property in the short term. I appreciate government measures are now in place but I also understand from Royal Docks that tenants are still moving properties. If these measures were to be lifted at the end of the initial 14 day period, would you then be in a position to vacate the property or are there other factors that are likely to prevent this, assuming you are already self-isolating? I understand your purpose for leaving has been to assist your mother so I assume you are still wishing to join her as soon as possible.
Before we go any further and so that I can fully understand the situation, I would be grateful if you could respond on the question of timing and the provisional 14 day period of government measures.
Copying Daniel at Royal Docks for info.
Regards,
Paul

I have received it.

I will review the response and return to you today.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Much appreciated

Thanks for your patience.

The government stated 3 weeks lock down and not 2 weeks therefore I will argue against 14 days. Further you can consider telling them you will reconsider your position after 3 weeks given the law states you SHOULD STAY AT HOME.

Further the government has advised mortgage lenders to freeze payments. Therefore you should remind Paul to exercise this option if he is concerned about mortgage payments.

I hope I have clarified the position if not please let me know.

However if I have clarified the position please before you leave JA today please rate the assistance provided by clicking on the 5 stars button at the top of your screen as this will help improve the service given in future.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Would you be able to draft a response for me to Paul ?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.

Unfortunately i cannot draft a letter for you as I can only provide answers to questions.

However i can give some guidelines on what to include within your response. In order to do this please rate the initial assistance to your query by clicking the 5 stars button. Once rated i will provide some points to put in your letter at no further costs.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Yes I will rate and await your response to add to the letter thanks you

k, thanks once rated i will give some pointers on what to include given this will be a new query that will be given at no further costs.

Thabks

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I'm sure this will be sorted amicably. Much appreciated.

Thanks for the rating and I will provide some points later today as I am currently not by my work station.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
this is my letter i has sent to my landord before his response that i sent to you just to give you an idea.

Dear Paul/David

As you aware my fixed term agreement comes to an end on 3rd April 2020.

Given the government advice to stay at home it is very likely I will continue to reside here until the government relaxes the lock down rules.

I understand that from the Government website that things might not return too normal for a number of months.

From what I understand the tenancy will become a periodic tenancy, which is one that rolls on a monthly basis with no end date, whereby I must give 1 months notice.

As you know I am self-employed and as you can imagine I have lost a lot of work because of the pandemic.

I would like to request your consideration for a rent freeze for the next 3 months at least until the lock down has been lifted or my business picks up. After this period we can review the situation.

At the moment I can only afford to pay £500 a month on a periodic tenancy basis. I would be grateful if you would consider this option that the government have advised all landlord’s to consider.

I do realise that you have another tenant to move in, but I guess given the lockdown that is currently enforced, I can only assume that Royal Docks property have to abide by the government request to avoid any penalties of moving anyone.

So therefore I request the following for your consideration:

3 Months periodic tenancy in line with government lockdown requests to be reviewed in 3 months (June 2020).

A Rent Freeze for the next 3 months with a partial payment from me of £500 a month.

I have always been a responsible and trustworthy tenant. I have always paid my rent on time and I wish that the circumstances were different as none of us saw this coming.

Finally, if you have any other ideas on how we can make this work, please let me know. You both have always been good landlords.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kim
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
ideally the win would be to stay where i am until the end of the year i can't risk going back to my mum who is elderly

Please consider including these points

• The lock down period is 3 weeks initially which may be extended.
  • Moving out of the property now may not be classed as essential given government current advice to landlords about evicting tenant and rent freeze proposal.
  • Moving out will likely mean you will flout the rules which could lead to you being arrested.
  • Mortgage lenders are prepared to freeze payments for the time being.
  • You can reconsider the position after 4 weeks or if the lock down measures are relaxed.

I suggest you ask the landlord about your rent payments proposal too.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you for your help

Your welcome

Please before you leave JA today please rate the assistance provided by clicking on the 5 stars button at the top of your screen as this will credit me for the information provided to you.

Please note rating does not come at any extra costs.

Thanks and have a good day