How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK Solicitor John Your Own Question
UK Solicitor John
UK Solicitor John, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 611
Experience:  8 years legal experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UK Solicitor John is online now

We recently bought a car from a independent car sale

This answer was rated:

Good morning,we recently bought a car from a independent car sale garage,the vehicle became faulty after 3 days and we arranged for the vehicle to be tested independently and the test results showed that the engine was severely compromised and needs replacing,the vehicle was £1750 I have asked for a refund but to no avail how do I get my money back
JA: Where is this? And just to clarify, when was the purchase made?
Customer: Glasgow,on the 8th of March and became faulty within 3dayys
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Can you call me
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have an Autistic 9yr old son who cannot handle public transportation due to his condition so a car is absolutely essential
Customer: replied 3 days ago.

Hello, I’m a solicitor and I’m happy to help with your question today. There may be delays in responding as I am away helping other customers but I will get back to you as soon as I can. Please bear with me if I need to ask you some clarifying questions. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.

You do have rights under the Consumer Rights Act 2015. This means that the vehicle must be of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose and as described. If what you’ve bought doesn’t satisfy any one of these three criteria, you have a claim under the Consumer Rights Act.


You have a legal right to reject goods that are of unsatisfactory quality, unfit for purpose or not as described, and get a full refund - as long as this is done within 30 days.


After 30 days, you will not be legally entitled to a full refund, but you will be entitled to have the car repaired or replaced, and if this cannot be done, then you will be entitled to a full refund, or a partial refund if you wish to keep it. The only exception to this rule is motor vehicles, where they may make a reasonable reduction for the use you've already had of the vehicle after the first 30 days.


If the car was faulty within the first 6 months, it is presumed to have been there since the time you took ownership of it. After 6 months, the onus will be on you to prove it was already there, which can be done by having an engineer inspect it.


I would suggest you put this to them, and if rejected then initiate a claim against them in the small claims court by visiting here

I hope this helps and would be grateful for a rating. You can do this by clicking the stars at the top of the page. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Yes many thanks

Pleasure, happy to help. Would you kindly leave a rating by clicking the stars at the top of the page? It would be appreciated. All the best, John.

UK Solicitor John and other Law Specialists are ready to help you