Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

Hope you are well. I have received a redundancy notice

Hi hope you are well. I have received a redundancy notice saying that my job is at risk, on Thursday last week 19th of March. During the Covid 19 situation.
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: I was notified by my manager and HR
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: But since then last Friday Rishi announced about the jobs retention scheme and I can be furloughed
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, I now have had a u-turn from management that I will be made redundant with a 1 week notice and will not be furloughed as it is only applicable to the employees who haven't received a redundancy notification.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

How long have you worked there for? Please note I am mobile today so may not be able to reply until later today thanks

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I started on August 5th 2019 Its been nearly 8 months
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hi Ben hope you are well.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I am an Employee, I don't belong to any unions.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
legally I should have passed my probation by January/February

Many thanks for your patience. The issue with the Job Retention scheme is that it is not mandatory to be used by employers and they can still proceed and make people redundant if they want to. The scheme is there to help them if they need it, but it is up to them whether they use it. Sadly there is little you can do to force the employer to furlough you and allow you to benefit from the scheme. Even if the scheme is there to be used, the final decision is theirs. Failure to use it is only an ethical consideration, not a legal one.

I appreciate this may not be the answer you were hoping for but it is the legal position and I hope that it at least clarifies where you stand?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hi Ben,

Thanks for your answer. If I am indeed made redundant. What would the next course of action seek to do in order to get support from the government.

thanks for the clarification

Kazi
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
be* to*

You would have to contact JobcentrePlus to see whether you are entitled to unemployment benefits