F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

I booked a cottage for Easter due to the coronavirus they

Hi I booked a cottage for Easter due to the coronavirus they have cancelled my booking but wont give me a refund. They are saying we can chose a date in the future but we would have to pay a further £50 surely if they have cancelled I should get a refund.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: i am in Sheffield the property is in north wales
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: emails
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thank you

Good morning. I will assist with your question - be aware this is an email not chat service therefore i maybe delayed in replying.

what are the terms of the booking?

is this a private rental or through a company?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I am not sure I tried to find it on there website but couldn’t see any I will try looking at the emails when I booked to see if I have missed anything
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Through a company looking at the terms and conditions they could be right

We are getting dozens of these questions at the moment.

If you cancel then you face the cancellation charges.

If they cancel, they have to refund you.

They cannot rely on their own terms and conditions to keep all the fee if they have to refund. If they intend to rely on a Force Majeure clause (reasons beyond their control) then it has to be reasonable and keeping the whole amount if they cancel is not reasonable and fall foul of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations.

However you can’t beat them with a stick until they refund if they cancel and not you, and your only remedy is to take into the Small Claims Court.