How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 8185
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

Please can I have some advice? I'm currently in trial

This answer was rated:

Hi - please can I have some advice? I'm currently in trial separation with partner under the same roof. We have 2 children.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: sorry hadn't finished! taken no steps. we are trying trial separation and then to decide around June time if we stay together. with all that is going on with covid-19, I am worried. I have no up to date will and want to know if I should put anything in place. we share the mortgage but are not married. we have lived together for 11-12 years. I have life insurance etc but concerned if I need to confirm where my savings go, what would happen with the house if something should happen to me.
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: that is not relevant to what i'm asking.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no can I please have advice from lawyer?

Hello, this is Jim and I’m a dual-qualified lawyer (UK & Republic of Ireland) happy to help you today.

Do you both own the property you're currently living in? If so, is it owned together as a whole or in distinct shares (joint tenancy v tenancy in common)?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
owned together as a whole with mortgage, both names on mortgage.
I bought the house on my own initially, then he moved in, we did a renovation and he put money into it. we then remortgaged and put house in joint names.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
no I don't want to switch to call

Thanks, if there is no will in place, under survivorship rules if one of you dies, the house goes to the surviving owner. SO it is vital you have a will in place - you can download a last will and testament at - it needs to be witnessed by someone who is not a beneficiary. You can leave your savings to whoever you want as you are not married either.

Is there anything else I can help with?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
What’s the cheapest way to create a will? Is law depot the cheapest? Also the £5 fee I paid, is that a one off payment? Thank you for your help.
The law depot one should be free - if may be a trial so once you download it just cancel the membership. Yes to the membership for this site - you’d need to cancel within 7 days or it rolls over to monthly membership. I hope this helps, I’d be grateful if you would please rate the answer. Any follow up questions are fine. Have a good day
JimLawyer and 5 other Law Specialists are ready to help you