JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

I currently have business interruption on my business

Hi there, I currently have business interruption on my business insurance policy with 'closure' and 'pandemic' on it but the insurance company are stating that there is no specific wording for Covid19. They also state that they are waiting to hear fronm the government of whether they can pay out....where might i go for clarity on this?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: South Wales
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have contacted the insurance company by telephone
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: not at the moment thank you

Hello, this is Jim and I’m a dual-qualified lawyer (UK & Republic of Ireland) happy to help you today.

Your insurer is likely to have to pay out for this - the virus is now classed as a pandemic. The policy does not have to specificially word COVID-19 either. In these policies there is usually a list of diseases but there is also a catch-all definition which is a "notifiable disease". COVID-19 is on the list of notifiable diseases :

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/notifiable-diseases-and-causative-organisms-how-to-report#list-of-notifiable-diseases

You can contact Public Health England if you need clarity. Their number is 0300 303 8162. You should consider making a complaint to your insurer. Ask them for their final response, then assuming it does not resolve matters, involve the Ombudsman here:

https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/businesses/resolving-complaint

I hope this helps? If you would kindly leave me a 5 star rating (at the top of your screen), the question will stay open and any follow up questions are welcomed.

Many thanks,

Jim

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Thanks Jim...very helpful! Do you happen to have the Public Health Wales number as I live in South Wales?

Hi, yes, here it is: 029 2022 7744

Perhaps go back to the insurer and tell them Public Health England (and Wales) classifies COVID-19 as a notifiable disease - which triggers disruption cover in an insurance policy.