12826847

I am trying to help my wife with her motoring offence can

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I am trying to help my wife with her motoring offence can you discuss with me?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Just south of Manchester
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: She as admitted the offence and paid the fine she sent her licence and it was lost b between her and the police. she called several times trying to track down her licence to no avail, all calls were logged and acknowledged by the police
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: in they have since served herSJPN and because her licence hasn't ben produced

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is Jo C, I’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

How can I help?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
need to know how she responds to the SJPN?
She has paid the fine and this is acknowledged by the police as paid
but they have sent the SJPN because in between time her licence was lost in the post, at the time the police over the phone were saying there was a back log in Leeds hand on and you licence will be found etc.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
when will the call be?
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
can I get an estimate of when the cal will be ?

Can you respond?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
• I received a penalty notice for speeding on December 4th 2019 , I accepted responsibility and after receiving the penalty fine details in a further letter and paid the £100 on the 13th January 2020.
• The same document asked to supply payment reference and to send my drivers licence to the ticket office, which I duly send the day after the payment by first class post. The document made no indication to send it recorded delivery and assumed that the method chosen would be ok. I then received notice several weeks later that the driving licence had not been received.
• I called the number on the form several times in the times stated and got no answer. After several attempts I then called my local police ticket office at Winsford. I was advised there was a backlog at Leeds and to wait to see if they received it and call back after a week. I duly did this and advised once again to wait longer. I still tried the Leeds number, but again no answer. Over a few weeks, I called around 4 times to Winsford getting though each time and my calls logged. My last call, I agreed to check again by the end of February.
• During this time my Father had been hospiaaltised following a Stoke in Blackburn and was quite poorly with infections and sepsis. Juggling hospital visits, work and children as my husband was also away a lot overseas with work , I simply forgot to call back. For the 1s week of March my father was placed on palliative / end of life care and together with my mum and sisters I spent several nights / days sat by his bed. He passed away on the 5th March. 2020.
• After sorting post death activities and work, I called Winsford on Monday 16th March to apologised for not calling 1ssst t week of March, and explained why, and asked if they had any update on the situation. I was duly informed that had I called earlier in the day, they could have prevented the Justice letter being sent out with an extension as my licence had obviously now been lost, and informed me that this letter had now been sent out. I was advised to wait till it arrived and respond accordingly, and also to apply for a duplicate licence, as mine had been lost. I applied online the same day for a new licence and received this in a few days.

I can only express my remorse for this offence.

I did try to accept the fixed penalty offer from the police. I sent my licence in and paid £100 on 13th January 2020. My licence was either lost in the post or at the offices of the police. On reflection I should have sent it recorded delivery but the need did not occur to me at the time.

I received a notice from the police that my licence had not been received and I did call them several times to ask what to do. They said there was a backlog at Leeds and to wait to see if they received it. Clearly, they did not but this was an honest mistake. I did not apply for a new licence until the 16th March when it became clear that it had been lost because the advice was to wait to see if it had been received.

I have a hitherto clean licence [if true] and have been driving for x number of years. I accept my misdeed and I am remorseful.

In the circumstances, could I ask that you consider adding 3 points, fining me £85 for the offence and £15 for the victim surcharge so that it would represent the same penalty as the fixed penalty.

You can also talk about your financial circumstances especially if they have changed at the moment.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Enter that in to the guilty please section with mitigation?

into the mitigation section.

If it is true obviously.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Ok

All the best.