How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 15754
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

If you have a contract with one student accomodstion company

This answer was rated:

If you have a contract with one student accomodstion company then another one takes over / buys it. Do you have to sign a new contract or is the old one still valid? Also what if they refuse to send yu an updated version of your contract
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: UK nottingham
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Ive asked them for it because they’ve breached some things that they were obligated to give us as per what we’re paying for & I wanted to bring that up because there refusing to terminate rent for last term despite the corona virus uni shutting down, us being told to go home , lock down etc. Yet all the other accom’s and unis are doing it the uni has even urged them to do it & it’s not like they’ve been providing excellent services they’ve been violating from day one. Anyways long story short they keep saying because it’s essentially the same they don’t need to? Is that allowed also the tenancy agreement doesn’t include a student termination clause thing that states when the contract could be terminated early & under what circumstances
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no that’s it thank you x

Hello my name is Jamie and I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

I am not with you, what is it you want to achieve?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Okay thank you & i want them cancel the last rent free because due to the corona virus am not gonna be there because the government & uni told us all to go home. All the other unis and private accom’s in Nottingham have all cancelled the last fee for those who won’t be there & left but they haven’t. With ppl being let off I don’t even have the money to pay for it. Like it’s not there fault or mine but there being so unreasonable about it
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Like let off there jobs.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
if any accomodation should have cancelled it should of been the one I’m at. They haven’t followed thru with most of there obligations with the money where paying for either

You want to sue for compensation?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
no I just want them to cancel the last term rent that’s reasonable
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I guess that’s compensation of some sort

Yes, you would, in effect need to sue for the last term rent.

You need to write a letter, set out your losses and request compensation within 30 days or say you will go to Court. This is called a pre-action protocol letter of claim. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy. You must give 30 days warning before going to Court.

If they do not compensate you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Jamie-Law and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you