Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

Please can you advise me my grandson and his future wife

Please can you advise me my grandson and his future wife wedding was planned for 22nd May 2020 due the current situation with the corona virus it has to be postponed this has been
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Please can you advise me my grandson and his future wife have their wedding planned for 22nd May 2020 due to the current situation it has to be postponed this ordered by the Government the wedding venue has contacted them offering and alternate day for September and alternate months up to March next, if they want May next year they have to pay another £1500 pounds is this not exploiting the situation and how do they expect another £1500 pounds when at the moment no one is working they do not want the dates that they are offering pleases advise.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None at the moment message was received today and they do not know legally were they stand with this situation
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: just want to know there rights they already paid £13000

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years experience.

1. I am very sorry to read of the above. May I clarify - have they paid £13K just to the venue or is this what they have paid overall including to other suppliers?
  2. Do they have wedding insurance which covers pandemics and the like?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Wedding venue has been paid in full but they do not have wedding insurance because they didn't expect a pandemic

thank you. The legal position is that if your grandson has paid for a wedding venue on a particular date and the wedding venue has had to cancel ( as opposed to your grandson cancelling) then they require to offer the choice to your grandson of either rebooking on another date on terms agreeable to your grandson or a full refund.

If your grandson is content to agree a rebooking then he can go ahead with this, but if he does not wish to or cannot agree terms with the venue - you cite an example of the hotel seeking additional monies for certain dates which he does not have to accept - then he is entitled to demand a full refund.

Many hotels are reluctant to provide refunds for the simple reason that they are struggling to maintain cash reserves but this does not change the fact that legally they must offer one. If your grandson paid any part of the monies to the venue on a credit card, even if he did not pay the full amount, he is likely to be able to claim against his credit card for a refund alongside the venue.

If he is unable to make a claim against his credit card because he did not pay any amount of the funds to the venue via credit card, and the venue refuses to provide a refund, he will have the option of issuing proceedings in the County Court for recovery of the monies he has paid to the venue together with court fees and interest at the rate of 8% per annum. the litigation should be treated as a last resort, if he is forced to consider it, the simplest way to issue proceedings by using the courts online Issuing service, www.moneyclaim.gov.uk.

Does the above answer all your questions? If it does, I should be very grateful if you would kindly take a moment to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave JA today. Your feedback is important to me. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me though

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you so much for this information and you have set it out very clearly thank you

I am glad it was of some assistance and I hope your grandson and his fiance enjoy their special day in the not too distant future.