Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I was just having a chat with you about an appeal letter i

I was just having a chat with you about an appeal letter i have written i closed my tab by mistake.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I live in Eastbourne, East Sussex
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I was dismissed last Friday and asked to leave the premises immediately, i have spoken to no-one about this. I was given 5 working days to appeal. I have written an appeal letter and wondered if anyone could look at it before i submit it.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, my appeal letter includes all the details.

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

Are you able to upload it on here?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I uploaded the document did you get it?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry i cant afford that

No sorry I cannot see any upload, please try again

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i have uploaded again
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can you see the upload now?

Yes thanks. How long have you worked there for?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I started in November 2014

Thanks and why were you dismissed and did you have previous warnings for anything?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I was dismissed due to persistent lateness, which i have explained in my appeal. In the meeting i was advised that i have previously received a written warning, however i only remember a verbal warning. I was late 18 times between Feb 2019 - March 2020, the majority of this was just a few minutes late. Following the dismissal i wrote and asked for a copy of my clocking in times so that i could provide an explanation but i have not been given this information and i can no longer log in to my attendance record. When informing me of the disciplinary hearing i was advised the outcome of this could be a Written/final written warning or dismissal.

Ok thanks. The letter, on the whole, is fine. It deals well with the personal background which is important to deal with this issue. I would also suggest that you mention the lack of written warning and that you have no evidence of that and that lateness, as in your case, should have been dealt with in an escalating manner, where you are issued with a written warning first, then a final one and eventually dismissal. So the ley is to make it clear that their decision at this time fell outside the range of reasonable responses and ask them to reconsider, asking for a second chance with a monitoring period or adjustments to your hours to help you in your situation.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Many thanks for taking the time to read my appeal and giving me the advice.

All the best