Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I resigned from my current employment in the financial

I resigned from my current employment in the financial industry and they are asking to sign a confidentiality agreement. I understand the need for confidentiality but there is no mention of limit of time. Is it something legal?
For example,
You agree to treat Confidential Information as confidential and secret and therefore:
(a) will not, either during or after the termination of your engagement with ****,
without the prior written consent of ****, use or disclose to any third party
or publish any Confidential Information; and
JA: Have you discussed the termination with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: with my company
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: i m working through a consulting agency
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

How long have you worked for your employer? If possible, please upload a copy of your contract on here?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I have been working with them since February 2019

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
This is the document they want me to sign.

Many thanks for your patience. It is not uncommon to have no end date on such restrictions, because the confidential information you have obtained through your work with them will belong to them no matter how much time has passed since termination. They have a right to protect their confidential information for as long as needed. This is different to other restrictions, such as no solicitation or not acting in competition with them, which will need to have a limited duration, but the same restrictions would not apply to Intellectual Property or confidential information, which could last indefinitely if needed (unless the information eventually becomes public).

Does this answer your query?