Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

Im working in the construction industry, my employer is

Im working in the construction industry, my employer is telling me he wont shut down due to coronavirus as construction workers are not entiltked to it, i feel like i have to come to work other wise i will only get ssp, and if i contract it while at work im still only entitked to ssp, where do u stand?
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: No
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: Employee and im not on a union
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

How long have you worked there for?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
4 years

Many thanks for your patience. There is no specific guidance on construction workers at present and you may have seen in the last day or two that this was under debate in the news. However, there is no formal instruction published by the Government on the subject yet.

There is still some uncertainty over the rules, which is understandable, but the following is taken direct from the Government document about this and this was issued following the latest official guidance:

Employers who have people in their offices or onsite should ensure that employees

are able to follow Public Health England guidelines including, where possible,

maintaining a two metre distance from others, and washing their hands with soap

and water often, for at least 20 seconds (or using hand sanitiser gel if soap and

water is not available).

Any business can remain open as long as they are not on the list of businesses which must close:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/875881/Guidance_of_business_closures_250320.pdf

So it is not just essential businesses which can remain open – if any other business is open they should seriously consider allowing people to work from home if possible. If they cannot do so, then the guidelines on social distancing and hand washing should be followed, with the phrase ‘where possible’ being key – i.e. not mandatory.

If you feel unsafe at work then you cannot be forced to attend and can consider whether to self-isolate, although you will only get sick pay in that case.