SolicitorRM
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

Am I able to speak to someone re my vulnerable status and

Am I able to speak to someone re my vulnerable status and employment?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Maidenhead in Berkshire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I am employed but havee been offered alternative job within my company but am at risk, choices ae use my holiday up or take unpaid leave. Am being pressed for answer what I want to do but need to be clear. Can I speak to somebody on the phone?
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that's all, and whether I am emtitled to ny wage compenstion/benefit?

Hi thank you for your enquiry and patience.

Calls are chargeable an additional minimal fee. if you would like to speak as opposed to type let me know and I am happy to call you.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Have received the following email from my employer but am in at risk group and should not go to work as it’s a non-essential job. Need to know my rights re pay/benefits etc before I respond to their questions. The nature of my employer is hospitality.

For your info I am 66 years old and have a heart condition which is well managed but puts me at risk.

“As you know, we are in lockdown, which means no one is coming to the club, except for a few essential workers.

There is still the offer of working in Waitrose to get paid or you can take holiday or go unpaid, as we discussed previously.

Please let me know what your choice is to moving forward with the new situation. At the moment, we are still closed until the end of May, at least, but this is always subject to change.”

Hi, as you are above 60 and with a serious health condition you have to think of your health and safety. If you have accrued leave you can take holiday or unpaid leave and if the employer are saying once they open after May they want you to return then there is no reason why they are not furloughing you after your paid leave that way you will be guaranteed at least the 80% of your wages as the government has pledged to meet the companies' wage bills up to 80% capped to maximum £2,500. If the employer is not able to afford the 20% remaining then most are offering their employees to accept a cut in their wage by 20%. That way you are not at risk of being made redundant. I hope this helps and I would be grateful for your rating at your earliest convenience. All the best

Also, I'll check back in with you in 7 days on 4/2/2020. I can also answer any additional questions that may arise. Don't worry, there's no additional fee for this follow-up.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thanks. So does that mean that they will only pay the 80% AFTER I return to work, or after my paid leave has run out? They are saying they are closed until the end of May AT LEAST so not sure what happens if they're closed longer?

The 80 % is for the time when employees are not able to attend for work but the employer wishes to retain them to continue in their roles when the lockdown is over so you should get paid after your holiday.