How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jak Bowtell Your Own Question
Jak Bowtell
Jak Bowtell, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 159
Experience:  LLB (Hons) (ling.) ( franc.) (UEA) ARAeS
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jak Bowtell is online now

I am international student and I had to go back to my

This answer was rated:

Hi, I am international student and I had to go back to my country from the UK for my medical check, but during this time my country closed borders and I can't go back to the UK. My employer didn't send me anything about 80% of my wages and just wrote to me today that I am not working for them anymore. Do you think that they can fired me without letting me know or sending me some emails or P45, P60? I have my rent in the UK I need to finish my university and I need to pay rent there. How they can fire me? And also when I start working for them they didn't print contracts for me so I don't know what to do. Do you think that I can get my 80% wages or sick pay?
JA: Have you discussed the termination with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: not yet
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: zero contract, yes I am from Czech epublic
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hello there, I am sorry to learn of your situation. At the moment, the government's plans to cover 80 per cent of workers' wages up to 2,500 GBP is only for employees that are full time or part-time PAYE workers. So I am very sorry to say that this does not apply to the self-employed (at the moment), freelancers, or people on zero-hour contracts. People on zero-hour contracts have very few rights anyway, hence why they are a political point of contention. But to conclude, from what I understand from your situation, as a zero-hour contract employee, your employer is not obliged to pay you anything or send any documentation. I think it's very harsh of your employer, but legally there is no protection for you, and I can only tell you what is legally the case. I am so sorry this is the situation you've found yourself in.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thank you so much! And is there any site how I can find my contract through my UK national insurence number? Thank you!

There isn't but your employer is obliged to give you a copy of your contract at your request. I would suggest you ask them directly for a copy.

I hope this answered your question. I would be grateful if you could provide a rating. This means that instead of JustAnswer retaining your credit, I am reimbursed for my time. It also makes it easier for me to respond to any follow-up questions you have (free of charge).

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thank you! I know everything now :) Have a good day

That's great, there should be a star rating system at the top of our chat window where you can leave a rating and therefore accept my answer. You will be able to ask follow up questions as necessary.

Jak Bowtell and 6 other Law Specialists are ready to help you