12826847

My husband and I were booked on a Celebrity cruise for the

My husband and I were booked on a Celebrity cruise for the launch of their new ship Apex on 5 April plus the following cruise to Scandinavia a total of 19 days at a cost of £12,649 paid three months ago. On the 12 March we were informed that those over 70 years would be denied boarding. I have asked for a total refund to be paid into my bank account. Now they say it will take 30 days. Can they hold on to our funds that long - they have already had an interest free loan for three months?
JA: Where is this? And just to clarify, when was the purchase made?
Customer: The payment was 27 Nov 2019
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I sent 2 emails to Celebrity which were ignored. They then sent on the 24 March an email saying we could claim a refund but it would take 30 days
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think I have covered the main points.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is Jo C, I’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

The problem with this is that strictly, if they don’t intend to perform they should refund immediately.

But their position is probably that they cannot say whether they will be able to perform because of the global health emergency.

The other difficulty is that the only way to avoid this is to sue at the small claims court which would take even longer although I suppose you would be able to claim costs.